One of the things that hinder new poker players is mastering the meaning of the terminology in online card games. It is even more important when you play online at W88 Casino when the terms appear regularly in the game. To help you get an easier start with poker, this article will cover the most common poker terms.
Glossary of poker cards
- Burn/Burn Card: A card must be discarded by the Dealer before it is turned
- Community Cards: Cards that are turned over in the middle of the table, which everyone can see and can combine with the trump card in their hand.
- Hand: Is interpreted as a game or a combination of 5 cards of the player.
- Hole Cards/Pocket Cards: These are the player’s own cards, called the trump card.
- Draw: Potential hand is called draw. They are hands that are missing one more card to complete the combination, such as a flush or a straight.
- Over-pair: Combination from two trump card which is higher point than all the common cards
- Top pair: Combination from a trump card with the strongest common card
- Bottom pair: Combination from a trump card with the weakest common card
- Nuts: Nuts means the strongest one. For example Nut straight, Nut flush
Glossary of action in poker
- Flat call: Only bet when you are strong enough to raise
- Cold call: Bets when a previous bet has been made and another raises
- 3-bet: raise after someone has bet and the other has raised
- Isolate: Isolate a player by raising all others.
- Bluff: Scare the opponent into thinking you have a strong hand and give up.
- Continuation bet: Which means continue betting after having raised/raising in the previous round
Glossary of poker play
- Tight: Play safely
- Aggressive: Active play, attack a lot and often bet or raise compared to check or call
- Passive: In contrast to aggressive, it is passive play, more inclined to call and check more than bets or raises
- Tight Aggressive: Play fewer cards, but will bet or raise more
- Loose Aggressive: Play a lot of cards and be aggressive which means bet or raise lots
- Calling Station: Who always follows the bet to the end, check with all the combination he/she has
- Fish: Weak players, always losing money on the poker table. When playing poker, everyone wants to play with fish
- Shark: Dangerous opponent on the poker table. This type of player will win money in the long run.
- Hit and Run: Leaves after winning, giving the opponent no chance to retaliate or take back.
Glossary of a person’s position on the poker table
- Dealer / Button / BTN: Dealer or player seat in the deal position. This is the last position in a betting round (except the first round – preflop) and is considered the most advantageous position in a game of poker.
- Blind (s): Blind money that two players on the dealer’s left hand have to put before every game. The two blind positions are: small blind and big blind
- Under the Gun (UTG): The next player on the left of the big blind and is the first one to act in a game.
- Cut off / CO: The player on the right of the Dealer position, that is just before the last position on the table and thus considered the second-best position in a game.
- Early Position (EP): The first position of the table, must act before most other players on the table.
- Middle Position (MP): A group of people sitting between the first and last position in a betting
- Late Position (LP): The last position on the table, the last to act in a betting round. round.